Let’s face it, it’s Friday and add to that National Margarita Day and we almost have a party. Apparently everyone knows that I love Margaritas because as soon as California woke up this morning, my mailbox and text messages were buzzing with a fervor not seen since, well, you get the idea. Sloane Miller was kind enough to forward an email from Dobel Diamond Tequila to me saying simply: “your day”. So how can I resist! I have not had Dobel Tequila myself, but I have had a lot of Tequila since I discovered making margaritas myself a few years ago. I prefer the silver tequila, although a good drinking tequila can also be a high-end Anejo. And by drinking I mean, neat or on the rocks. I also enjoy playing with infused simple syrups. Tequila is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free and egg-free as it is made from the blue agave plant. (Note: some bartenders add egg white to the margaritas since it adds a nice froth).
Dobel Tequila™ is available nationwide in fine bars, restaurants and retailers – available in 200 ml, 375 ml and 750 ml bottles. The 750 ml bottle will retail for $54.99.
Since Dobel Diamond Tequila public relations person was so kind as to get me their product info and recipe I’m going to go ahead and post it. Because why not! It is, after all “my day”. This is Dobel’s recipe, not mine, but it looks perfect and would be exactly how I would go about making a margarita with fresh fruit – remember do not skip the straining! Muy importante – you don’t want to be picking strings out of your drink.
For the homemade margarita mix:
- 4 oz lime juice
- 4 oz water
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the margarita:
- 1 lb cantaloupe wedges (1/2 a 3lb cantaloupe, seeds and skin removed)
- 4 oz orange liqueur
- 6 oz silver tequila
- Salt, for rimming (optional)
- Lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- Add the lime juice to a pitcher.
- Over medium heat in a small sauce pan, heat sugar and water, stirring until clear.
- Remove from heat and add to the lime juice.
- In a food processor or blender, process the cantaloupe for ~60 seconds until completely obliterated into a fine pulp (you might need to add a few pieces at a time if using a blender).
- Pour pulp into a fine mesh strainer set over a large measuring cup or small bowl and strain, lightly pressing the solids until you get 1 cup of liquid.
- Add cantaloupe juice to the pitcher, along with tequila and orange liqueur.
- Serve in salt-rimmed glasses, over crushed ice.
Yields: 4 servings
About Dobel Diamond Tequila from their fact sheet
Sourced from single estates, distilled from 100% blue agave and bottled in Jalisco, Mexico, Dobel Tequila is an ultra-premium, multi-aged tequila.
A blend of Reposado, Anejo and Extra Anejo, aged 12, 24, and 36 months, respectively, each of the three ages of tequila has a different taste. This is why silver tequilas are typically bright while Anejo is often dark and complex. Dobel’s unique blend provides the smoothness of a Silver along with the complexity of an Extra Anejo, adding up to the smoothest tequila you have ever tasted.
Disclaimer: I received nothing to print this, except maybe there will be a home made margarita in my future as a gift to me, from me, for posting this.